Alibaba eFounders Fellowship is seeking 40 start-up entrepreneurs from and in Africa (especially from North Africa, Nigeria, Kenya, Egypt, Morocco, Algeria, Rwanda, Namibia and Uganda).
To Be Taken At:
Alibaba Xixi Campus, Hangzhou, China
About the Alibaba eFounders Fellowship:
The Alibaba eFounders Fellowship is a two-week course for entrepreneurs in developing countries who are operating open, platform-based businesses in the ecommerce, logistics, big data, and tourism spaces. The program will provide first-hand exposure to and learning about ecommerce innovations from China and around the world that enabled growth and a more inclusive development model for all.
With a focus on highlighting breakthrough innovations that have transformed society in China, the program will inspire each participant to think of creative frameworks based on prior expertise and new learnings that can be applied to their own home markets.
Participating entrepreneurs will be given the tools to improve their own ventures, but as ‘New Economy’ pioneers they will be expected to serve as network builders and champions of new ways to approach commerce in their own markets. UNCTAD and Alibaba believe these entrepreneurs can spread powerful new ideas around the world by creating impactful communities and empowering their peers.
The course targets young entrepreneurs as part of an initiative on the digital economy for sustainable development that is jointly organized by the Alibaba Business School and the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
• Under the age of 35;
• Entrepreneurs in the digital and technology space operating open platforms related to eCommerce, Logistics, Fintech, Big Data or Tourism;
• Authentic, open-minded and altruistic leaders of the new economy;
• At an inflection point in their careers;
• Looking to move from success to significance with integrity, vision and drive;
• Founders or co-founders of an officially registered digital technology venture in a country in Africa;
• Female entrepreneurs are strongly encouraged to apply.
Number of Awards:
There will be 40 places available.
Value of Fellowship:
- The course will consist of a structured series of classroom workshops and lectures, site visits and a business hackathon and will primarily be held at Alibaba Group Headquarters in Hangzhou with site visits in other cities in China.
- Upon completion of the course, participants are expected to make a commitment to share knowledge gained with their communities.
- While the course tuition, accommodation and meals will be covered for selected candidates, participants will be expected to apply and pay for their visa application and travel to and from Hangzhou, China. A letter of support for a visa request will be provided by UNCTAD to facilitate the visa application process. Once in China, the Alibaba Group will arrange lodging and transportation during the course.
Duration of Fellowship:
June 19th – 29th, 2018
How to Apply:
Applications must be received by May 4th, 2018 at 2 p.m. China time (GMT+8)